Our annual BJCP sanctioned homebrew competition brought to you by the Carbondale Mainstreet foundation, SIU Fermentation Science Institute, Southern Illinois Brewers and sponsored by Hobby Homebrew. This competition is open to all amateur, adult homebrewers and open to any styles and sub-styles of beer in the BJCP categories 1-34 of the 2021 BJCP Guidelines. Mead and cider entries will not be included this year.
Prizes for the Big Muddy Monster Brew Fest have been sponsored by Hobby Homebrew.
1. Entry: Submit two 10-14 ounce bottles with no distinguishing marks on the bottle or cap. Blacked-out caps are OK.
2. Entrant Information Form: Please complete this ONE TIME ONLY for each entrant. No club affiliation is necessary to enter.
3. Entry Listing Form: Only one Entrant Info Form per person is needed, but use an additional copy of the Entry Listing Form for each beer entry. Please include any additional notes that are required by BJCP guidelines for styles 6D, 16E, 17F, 20, 21, 22B, 22C, 25C, 26A, 27E, and 28B-D. See BJCP style guidelines for the specific requirements. (complete recipe not required)
4. Bottle Identification Labels: Cut out the bottle labels and affix a Bottle Label with the requisite information to each bottle with rubber band(s) – do not use tape or glue to attach the labels. Be sure to include the Entry Number, the BJCP category code (e.g. 2B for Bohemian Pilsner), the Style Name, and any additional information needed. Please ensure that the information on the Bottle Label is complete and matches that on the Entry Listing and Entrant Information Forms. There is no limit on the number of entries an individual may submit, but only one entry per sub-category will be allowed.
5. Payment: Payments can be made online at or by check. Check the registration link for details.
6. Shipping/Drop-off: All entries must be sent to one of the locations below. (Do not ship via USPS). Pack your entries carefully and time them to arrive by the last day of the entry window. All entries will be refrigerated upon receipt. Late entries will not be accepted. Please make sure you specify your drop off location and number of entries when you register online prior to dropping off your entries.
7. Judging: Final judging is on the listed competition date. Categories may be combined if there are insufficient entries in a given category. If categories are combined, your beer will be judged and scored based on the category you entered it into. All the scores in the combined category will be ranked, and the highest score will be selected as category winner and move onto Best in Show.
8. Awards: All entrants are invited to attend the festival*. Medals and or ribbons will be awarded to the top three finishers in each category, including Best in Show.
9. Results: Results will be posted as soon as possible online after the festival. Any score sheets and/or awards not picked-up at the awards ceremony will be mailed as soon as possible after the festival.
10. Contact Information: For further information, please contact the Competition Organizer, Granger Young at email@example.com.